Kate’s birth support focus is currently changing. Read about her new direction here.
And scroll down for more information about doulas and birth attendants.
(If you would like recommendations for a doula in the Omaha area, please contact Kate.)
What is the difference between a doula & a birth attendant?
A doula is a person who supports a woman and her partner and/or birth team only emotionally, physically and mentally throughout the pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum periods. A birth attendant provides those services, but is also knowledgeable in nutrition, mental & emotional health and has additional birth skills. Kate believes preparation for pregnancy should make a woman stronger and more confident in her abilities and a supportive relationship with a skilled birthkeeper is key.
When you hire Kate, you not only hire labor support, but you have access to her advanced training, skills and extensive labor experience. Kate is certified with Spinning Babies to provide body balancing and baby positioning skills instrumental for an easier and more effective birth. Kate also trained with Gena Kirby and is skilled in using a rebozo (long scarf) as a labor and birth tool that can facilitate communication, relaxation and comfort throughout your birthing time. Along with her initial doula training, Kate has also been trained in advanced doula skills and situations for unique and special circumstances. This body of knowledge – as well as her intuition and skill to work in any birth environment – makes her an invaluable member of your birthing journey.
“In considering using a doula, we hesitated because we thought having another person in the room would make my husband feel replaced in the “coach” role. But as we shared this fear with Kate in our first meeting, she explained the true purpose of a doula & we could tell her desire was to encourage both of us throughout the process. [And] specifically to help my husband feel even more in the loop & empowered to know how to help & support me. She was fantastic in every way!” – A.M.A.
What will I get if I hire Kate?
- A birth attendant with experience in every birth environment (home, birth center and hospital)
- Four prenatal meetings to discuss pregnancy and birth options, set up assistance for labor and birth and preparation in welcoming your newborn into your family (additional appointments can be arranged for an additional cost)
- Complete information so you can develop YOUR birth preferences
- A copy of Spinning Babies’ Daily Essentials DVD
- Access to Kate’s extensive resources specific to your pregnancy and birth
- On-call service (24/7) from 38 weeks until the birth of your baby
- Continuous labor & birth support and up to four hours initial postpartum
- 1 postpartum visit (additional postpartum care available)
- Phone, text and email availability from hire date through postpartum
- Extensive experience in “holding space” for a birth woman.
(Prior to working together, Kate offers a complimentary, in-person consultation.)
What is the cost?
The Birth Support package is $1250.
If you are preparing for a hospital birth, Kate is available to assist you with your birth preparations or can provide you with recommendations for support at your desired birth location.